Who could it be, believe it or not it’s just me…oh sorry I was just remembering a theme song to a show I watched when I was little. Great American Hero or something like that…
Our Getting Cricky Simple Sunday challenge for today is all about things with wings…airplanes, hang gliders, flying transformers, hospitals, buildings, Detroit’s hockey team, or in my case…butterflies.
This project was actually really kind of difficult despite how simple the finished project looks. I’ll get to how I did it in a second. First I want to show you a close-up of the stamping:
I used 3 different stamps from the Winged Things stamp set shown below.Supplies Needed: 1 metal frame (mine is about 5.5 by 11.5 at the longest and tallest points) Scanner SCAL Photoshop or other graphics program 2 12 x 12 sheets of paper Scraps for the title cut and butterflies (I chose my name since this is going in my room) Pearl bling (mine are recollections) Chocolate Chip Ink (Stampin’ Up) Winged Things Stamp Set (K Andrew Designs) Gemstone bling (mine is silver but I don’t know from where) eCraft Fundamentals 2 SD Card Adhesive (ATG, Elmer’s Fabric and Craft Glue, foam dots and Glue Gun) White mulberry flowers (I Am Roses) Alcohol Ink or Re-inker (here I used Purple Twilight and Sailboat Blue) Alcohol Blending Solution Heat Gun Ribbon Crop-a-dile
See…you thought I was kidding when I said it was kinda difficult didn’t you?!?!? Ok…so the first thing I did was I took the ribbon out of the hanger that came with it when I bought it. It was ugly. Then I laid the metal frame on my scanner and scanned the image. I imported the scan into SCAL using the Trace feature and then cut it over and over with my eCraft, manipulating the size till I got a shape that would work (the purple shape in the background). The blue piece is actually a “messed up” shape, but I liked how it looked when added to the purple piece so I kept it and used it. The purple and blue piece were combined and adhered to the metal frame using my ATG. I went over it a few times laying down a super sticky layer of adhesive for maximum adhesion. Next I cut a butterfly from the Fundamentals 2 SD Card. I cut the solid base and wings and cut the body out of the wings to get the effect featured and added silver bling to bodies. One is cut at 3 inches, one at 2. These were adhered to the blue and purple background paper with foam dots. The flowers were dyed using the inks listed and then I used alcohol blending solution to bleed the color out a bit. I love those roses…so hard to believe they were white to start with huh?!?!?
I used my heat gun to speed up the drying process of the flowers a bit. While they dried the rest of the way, I stamped “Let your dreams take flight” on the blue background paper and cut my name using this font all in lower case. I opted not to include the dot on the i. I cut it first as a welded shadow layer, then I cut the letters unwelded. I used a scrap of Core’dinations paper for the shadow cut and then a scrap of paper from the Glam Girl stack by DCWV for the individual letters. I put these pieces together with craft glue and used foam dots to adhere them to the frame. Once the flowers were totally dry, I used my glue gun to glue them down. Finally, I took my crop-a-dile and punched a slightly larger hole in the frame and tied some new ribbon.
Now it’s your turn….head over to Getting Cricky to see what she and my DT Sister’s have made for you. Kristal has a giveaway going on that you won’t want to miss!
Here’s a picture of it, but for details you will need to visit her blog!
Be sure to link up YOUR winged projects by adding your link here!